Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hell hath no fury like


a hungover woman.

Last night, I had to DJ a birthday party for my mom. She does karaoke gigs and she was double booked, so he asked me and her boyfriend's daughter to help out and to do the DJ gig. We had never done this before, so we had no idea what we were doing, or how to do it. Luckily, the crowd was a a young one, the birthday boy was 40. They were bikers and some college kids. I knew what kind of music to play. Once we got started and figured out a rhythm, (music, karaoke, dance, slow dance etc..) it was fine. I called the birthday boy 'Mike' at the beginning of the night.. they got really quiet, looked around, and said "Kenny" DOH! Oh well.. other than that things were good. They loved us and we all had fun.

I had a couple of Nuzzy Favels, then started had 2 shots of tequila. We left there, and went to where our parents were doing their gig. I had 3 more shots of tequila, sang a song. Thank goodness my clothes stayed on. True to the country song usually, "tequila makes my clothes come off"


Anyhoo.. I started seeing double, my mom drove me home and I passed out cold.

So this morning, I got up around 10 or so, had my coffee, some cereal and tried not to have my head explode. I felt pretty rough, but I survived long enough to watch football... which brings me to the point of this post....... FINALLY.

We had wicked weather here this afternoon, right about the same time the Dolphins (SHUT UP!! THEY WILL GO TO THE SUPERBOWL) started. Our local station thought that it was important enough that they did a picture in picture coverage. Of course, the game was in the small picture. We couldn't hear it, we could barely see it. The weatherman proceed to tell us about the storms, that there was a tornado warning, what causes them, how quickly things can happen... blah blah blah. That went on for about 10 minutes. THEN he brings in another woman forecaster to have her explain what we were looking at and repeated just about everything he had already told us. They went to 8 million different radar views.. street views, explained what COULD happen IF it hailed.. what was happening in the OCEAN as the storm moved off shore... WTF?? BLAH BLAH BLAH.

By this time, my husband and I were LIVID. We couldn't hear the game, we couldn't tell what was going on with it at all. So, I emailed the station from their site. I wish I would have copied the emails, but I didn't. My first one was in all caps from "Pissed off Miami Fan"

It went something like this in all caps:
We all know there is a storm. We don't need a 30 minute commentary about the storm. People didn't turn on to your channel to watch the weather, if they wanted weather, they would have turned on The Weather Channel, now get back to the damn game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After about 5 more minutes, I sent this second one. I put a different email address than I had listed the first time.

This one was a mix of caps and lowercase and was from: "NO ONE TUNED IN TO CHANNEL 6 TO WATCH THE WEATHER" and went something like this:

It is ridiculous that football fans have to be subjected to this crap on Sunday. We all know there is a storm. Your weather people are even getting tired of listening to themselves talk GET BACK TO THE GAME!!! THIS IS FLORIDA!! WE HAVE STORMS!! GET OVER IT AND PUT THE DAMN GAME BACK ON BEFORE YOU LOSE PISSED OFF VIEWERS WHO ARE ABOUT TO GO TO THE BAR AND WATCH IT ON THE SUNDAY TICKET!!

Finally, the guy says, "Okay the tornado watch has expired, we are going to go ahead and get you back to the game...oh wait.. I am just hearing that the NWS has just put up another advisory.. we will stay with the story for a while longer"" ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? This has gone on now for about 45 minutes. They switched, put the game in the big picture, and the radar crap in the little picture but we still had to listen to them ramble on about the weather. There is a link on the site to email the station breaking news. So, I did.

SUBJECT: BREAKING NEWS!!!


BODY: THERE IS A FOOTBALL GAME ON!



After about an hour of this crap, they put the game full screen with the normal warning box in the left hand side of the screen like they should have done all along.


Anyway.. the Dolphins won, THANK GOD, I would have hung myself if they didn't.


I hope the station got a lot of angry calls and emails about this. I DO understand it is important to get the word out to its viewers. None of the other stations subjected their viewers to this crap.. Perhaps so Channel 6 could say "We were the only station to keep you informed about this storm and its impact" but really.. it just pissed off a lot of hungover people.

4 comments:

AD said...

Haaaaaaaa.

I'm glad I don't have those types of news people.

Glad the Dolphins won!

-AD

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Good for you on sending the emails - I usually just fume in private.

Babbington said...

So... you like your football then? Lol

Unknown said...

I LOVE my football and Nascar much to the delight of my husband

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP